This spiritual land is the last bastion of the Vajrayana school of Mahayana Buddhism which provides the essence of a unique identity for the 750,000 people.
Bhutan is a unique blend of the old and new. Here is a country that is slowly opening up to the modern world in a fine balance with its ancient traditions.
Those fortunate enough to visit Bhutan describe it as a unique, deeply spiritual and mystical experience. This kingdom is an adventure like no other.
Facts and Figures
- Land area: 38,394 square kilometres
- Forest area: 72.5 %
- Altitude: between 240metres and 7541metres above sea level
- Inhabitants: 634,982
- Language: official language “Dzongkha”, English widely spoken
- Religion: Vajrayana stream of Mahayana Buddhism (Also known as Tantric Buddhism)
- Currency: Ngultrum (equal to Indian Rupee)
- Capital: Thimphu
- National Tree: Cypress
- National Bird: Raven
- National Flower: Blue Poppy